Honey Roasted Parsnips are a beautiful side dish to nearly any main course. Thyme adds delicate flavor, while the honey helps enhance the natural sweetness of this root vegetable.
Parsnips are often an overlooked vegetable, but we love eating them year-round! They make a great substitute for fries, roasted potatoes, or even carrots in your favorite stews.
They are naturally sweet like a carrot yet also have an earthy flavor. My Honey Roasted Parsnips is a great recipe to introduce this root vegetable to your family! It's simple to prepare and makes a great healthy side dish for any meal.
What are Parsnips?
- While they look similar to a white carrot and often are as sweet as carrots, they also have a lovely earthy flavor.
- Parsnips are typically harvested in the fall and winter months, but you can usually find them in the supermarkets year-round.
- You can eat them raw, but most often, you'll see them roasted or added to hearty stews.
- Parsnips have a thin outer peel with bitter notes, so it's always best to peel them.
Honey Roasted Parsnips Ingredients
- Fresh Parsnips
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
How to make Honey Roasted Parsnips
- First, peel your parsnips and trim off the ends. Cut into quarters as evenly as possible.
- Toss parsnips with honey, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme and toss to combine. Even spread onto a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until fork-tender and golden brown.
- Drizzle with a little more honey before serving.
Have some extra-large parsnips? Sometimes parboiling can help with the roasting. Just toss your cut parsnips into some boiling water for about 5 minutes. Allow to cool to the touch before adding seasoning, and then roast in the oven.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 7 days. For best results, reheat in a toaster oven or air fryer to bring back a little crisp!
- Try another hearty herb like fresh rosemary for a stronger flavor.
- Go Italian style with a blend of dried Italian herbs and spices.
- No honey? You can roast with maple syrup!
More Recipes Like This
- 1 ½ lbs parsnips peeled and quartered
- 3 tbl olive oil
- 4 tbl honey divided
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment or aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, toss the parsnips with the olive oil, thyme, salt, pepper and 2 Tablespoons of the honey.
- Roast in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until fork tender and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle on remaining honey before serving.