These fresh and flavorful strawberry filled cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are a quick and easy strawberry dessert dream! White cake cupcakes are filled with strawberry jam and topped with cream cheese frosting for a semi-homemade recipe that tastes like it took all day!
Note: that links to products you find in this post are Amazon affiliate links which means I do make a small amount of money when you click and make purchases.
Everyone loves cupcakes...especially filled ones!
Nothing is better than biting into delicious cake and getting a surprising burst of filling that really takes things over the edge.
These strawberry filled cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are a favorite all year long at my house, but taste extra delicious during the spring and summer when strawberries are in season!
They are prefect for a simple weeknight dessert but great for birthday parties, baby showers and bridal showers too.
Every time I make these vanilla cupcakes with strawberry filling, I am ALWAYS asked for the recipe.
If you love berries you've got to try these strawberry hand pies and strawberry cheesecake cookies.
Ingredients for Strawberry Cupcakes
When I am wanting to make a complex cupcake, I am always down for using a shortcut when I can. This recipe uses two!
To make the cupcakes, you will need:
- Super moist white cake mix: I like Betty Crocker, but you can use whatever brand you like best.
- Cornstarch: I love using cornstarch in baking because it helps create a crumbly and tender dessert texture. Adding a little bit to pre-made cake mix really helps create a bakery-style homemade texture.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract is best! Always avoid imitation vanilla when possible.
- Milk and oil: The combination of these two ingredients is another one of my secrets to take box mix over the edge! Milk is better for the flavor, while the oil really helps keep the cake nice and moist.
- Eggs and extra egg whites: Another box mix upgrade! Creates the perfect cupcake texture for strawberry cupcakes.
- Store-bought strawberry sauce or topping: You can use your favorite preferred brand and either use seeded or seedless jam depending on preference. If you like it in the jar, you will LOVE it in your cupcake!
To make the frosting you will need:
- Cream cheese: Use full fat if possible and always start with room temperature cream cheese to ensure your texture will be silky and smooth.
- Butter: When baking, always use 100% pure unsalted butter. Just like the cream cheese, you will want this to be softened to room temperature.
- Powdered sugar: Pre-sifted is best to make sure everything is as smooth as possible.
Check the recipe card for the full list and quantities of each ingredient.
This recipe is for semi-homemade strawberry cupcakes using cake mix, but you can also make the following substitutions if you prefer homemade.
- White Cake Mix: You can use your favorite homemade vanilla cupcake recipe instead of box mix or use a different flavor of box mix such as vanilla bean, yellow cake mix or even strawberry.
- Strawberry Jam: You can also use homemade jam or even use pie filling if preferred. Want to completely change the flavor? You can make this recipe with other fruit fillings, too. Try it with raspberry or blueberry for a completely new and different take!
- Cream Cheese Frosting: If you don't care for cream cheese frosting, try making these with your favorite buttercream recipe or even homemade whipped topping.
You should have everything you need to make these vanilla cupcakes with strawberry filling. Before you get started, gather these items:
- Various size mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- Cupcake scoop
- Cupcake pan
- Cupcake liners
- Frosting bag and tip (size M1)
How to Make Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
Are you ready to start cooking? Here's the highlights but you will find detailed instructions in the recipe card.
Step 1: Make the Cupcakes
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
Choose Your Liners: For this recipe, I like to use white. Keeping things simple kind of balances out the complexity of the cupcakes but fun pink liners would be cute too!
- Use a whisk to mix the cake mix and cornstarch together. Whisk around a few times until fully incorporated. The cornstarch really helps with the texture of storebought cupcakes.
- Now it is time to add the wet ingredients. Add in the milk, vanilla extract, oil, eggs and egg whites and mix on medium speed until well combined. It shouldn't take too long, not more than a couple of minutes.
- Next, fill the prepared muffin tin with the batter. To prevent overfilling, fill just until ⅔ full. This will help create the perfect cupcake shape without spilling over the edge.
TIP: Use a cookie scoop or measuring cup to easily transfer the batter to the cupcake pan.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown. When they are finished, a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes completely before moving on to the next step.
Step 2: How to Fill Cupcakes
- With an icing tip (I used a Walton M1 attachment) turned upside down so the wide end goes into the cake first, press it in and twist.
- When you pull it out it will have removed just enough cake for you to fill with strawberry sauce. If you don't have a frosting attachment you can use a spoon to scoop out the cake.
- Carefully spoon the jam into the center of each cupcake, leaving the top opened. There is no need to cover the jam back up, the frosting will hide the opening!
Step 3: Making the Cream Cheese Frosting
The last step in making strawberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, is making the frosting!
- Use an electric mixer on medium speed to mix the cream cheese and butter.
TIP: It's important to start with room temperature ingredients to create a silky and smooth texture.
- Once the cream cheese and butter and fully combined, add the vanilla.
- Add the powdered sugar about a ½ cup at a time making sure each ½ cup is blended in well before continuing.
- Once everything is well mixed, transfer the frosting to a piping bag and top each cupcake with a swirl of frosting.
- Finish off each cupcake with a few sprinkles, if desired or maybe even some fresh strawberries for an extra burst of beauty and flavor!
Did you love these cupcakes and want to try more?
Try using raspberry or blueberry jam instead. Craving more strawberry flavor? Try using a strawberry cake mix for full-blown strawberry goodness.
It is best to store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for 3-4 days.
Can I freeze strawberry filled cupcakes?
Yes! Both the cupcakes and cream cheese frosting can be made ahead of time and frozen for up to three months.
You can also freeze fully prepared, frosted cupcakes. Here's how to do it!
- Place them in a Large container with a lid. Make sure they have enough space so the lovely frosting holds its shape.
- Place the container in the freezer for 3-4 hours. They should be frozen by now.
- Take the cupcakes out and wrap them individually so they don't get ice crystals. Place wrapped cupcakes back in the large container and place them back in the freezer. They can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To defrost just let them in the fridge overnight or bring them to room temperature on the counter. Be sure to place them in a fridge if not eating straight away.
Expert Tips and FAQS
I can't wait for you to try this semi-homemade strawberry filled cupcake recipe using cake mix. When you go to make your first batch, remember:
- Using cake mix and store bought jam is a great shortcut for complex cupcake recipes.
- You can use homemade cake mix and jam if desired.
- Use a piping bag tip to remove the center of each cupcake.
- Use room temperature butter and cream cheese for the frosting.
You could, but the flavor would blend into the cupcake as it bakes. For a true "jam filled cupcake" bake the cupcakes first and fill with jam after they have cooled completely.
I like to add cornstarch to cake mix recipes because it helps create a homemade, tender crumb.
Yes! You can make vanilla buttercream, top with whipped cream or even use homemade strawberry frosting for this recipe.
More Delicious Cupcake Recipes
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card right below! You can also write a review in the comment section further down the page I always appreciate your feedback. And don’t forget to tag me @freshcoasteats in your photos on social media, I'd love to see your results!
Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
- 1 box super moist white cake mix
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 eggs whites
- strawberry sauce or topping, store bought
Cream cheese frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ stick butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners and set to one side
- In a large bowl mix together the cake mix with the cornstarch
- Add in milk, vanilla extract, oil, eggs and egg whites and mix on medium speed until well combined
- Fill the cupcake liners up ⅔ of the way
- Place cupcakes into a preheated oven and bake for 15-20 min or until they are turned a light golden color.
- Let the cupcakes cool on a rack.
- With an icing tip (I used a Walton M1 attachment) turned upside down so the wide end goes into the cake first, press it in and twist. When you pull it out it will have removed just enough cake for you to fill with strawberry sauce. If you don't have a frosting attachment you can use a spoon to scoop out the cake.
Fiona Malone says
These cupcakes not only look beautiful, but they taste delicious. They are the perfect birthday cupcake! We used homemade strawberry jam for the filling, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I am going to try your chocolate cherry cookies next! Glad I found your blog 🙂