Dalgona Coffee: A whipped frothy coffee drink made from instant coffee, sugar and milk. It's quick, easy and completely decadent!
What is Dalgona Coffee?
It is a Korean style coffee beverage that is kind of like a cappuccino turned upside down in a mug. The milky base is at the bottom of the class and the rich, frothy coffee layer sits on top.
Dalgona Coffee Orgin
South Korean actor Jung Il-woo made this drink famous when he ordered it on a TV show called Stars' Top Recipe. It then went viral on TikTok and the rest is history!
Make it at home
Combine equal parts of instant coffee, granulated sugar and boiling water and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture doubles in volume and forms a soft peak. This will take several minutes to achieve. You want it to be stiff enough to spoon on top, but not so stiff that it looses it's silky texture.
Dalgona Coffee Sugar Free
To make your drink sugar free, swap out the sugar with your favorite replacement. You can use any sugar replacement you want, but granulated texture works best.
Why won't my coffee layer thicken?
There are a few common mistakes that lead to the coffee layer not getting as thick as you see in all the instagram pics. Follow these rules for guaranteed success.
- Don't whip by hand. For this recipe, the electric mixture will get you thickness you cannot get by using a whisk.
- Keep a 1/1/1 ratio. Be sure to carefully measure each ingredient. While this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled, you really need to make sure you are measuring out level Tablespoons of each ingredient.
- Beat the mixture for several minutes. I know you are excited to try the trend, but be patient. The coffee takes a few minutes to froth and I promise you, it will be worth it!
Serve it hot
This drink is great both warm and cold! If you want it warm, heat up some milk on the stove top or microwave just until it reaches drinking temperature. Next, pour it in your favorite mug or glass and top with the frothy coffee topping.
Serve it cold
To make this drink cold, fill a glass or mug up with ice and add the desired amount of milk. Finish by spooning the whipped topping over the milk before serving.
Once you get the classic recipe down, it's time to try some new flavors! Here are some idea's for you to change things up.
- Use flavored instant coffee : try hazelnut, cinnamon or vanilla
- Add coffee syrups: try caramel, mocha or mint
- Try toppings: Add coffee crystal toppings, cookie crumbles or caramel drizzle.
- Make it vegan: Instead of dairy milk, use your favorite dairy free replacement.
Give these fun variations a try:
- Kid-friendly whipped strawberry version
- Chocolate Mint Dalgona Coffee
- Keto Salted Caramel Dalgona Coffee
- Spiked Dalgona Coffee
- Coconut Sugar Dalgona Coffee
- 2 Tablespoons Instant Coffee granules
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons boiling water
- 2 cups milk
- In a small bowl combine the instant coffee, granulated sugar and boiling water.
- Using an electric mixer, mix on medium speed until the mixture doubles in volume and forms a soft peak.
- Fill a glass with hot or cold milk and top with the frothy coffee mixture. Serve immediately.
When you give this drink a try, be sure to share on our Facebook page or tag us on Instagram with #FreshCoastEats. I would LOVE to see your creations!