Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup: A rich, creamy classic Italian soup made with gnocchi, chicken, carrots, celery onions in your instant pot.
I love when I find a soup recipe that I can crave and enjoy all year round and this creamy gnocchi soup happens to be one of them! It’s loaded with summer veggies, so I love making this when my garden is ready in the summer. But the creamy, cozy base makes it so comforting in the winter and fall. The best part about this recipe is you can make it in the instant pot, so it’s ready in under 30 minutes!
Ingredients for gnocchi soup
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb potato Gnocchi
- 1 ½ cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Chicken gnocchi soup in the instant pot
Start by heating the oil on the saute setting then add the veggies. Cook them until they start to get tender, then add the garlic and cook for one additional minute. Next, add the flour and cook for about a minute before adding the chicken broth and stirring until the flour is completely dissolved.
Next add the chicken into the broth. Seal the lid and make sure the valve is set to the “sealing” position. Cook on high manual pressure for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Set aside and add the gnocchi to the pan. Cook the gnocchi on “Saute” or until it begins to float. Once the gnocchi is cooked, add the chicken back into the pan along with the spinach, milk, salt and pepper.
Chicken gnocchi soup in the slow cooker
To make gnocchi soup in the slow cooker, start by sautéing the carrots, onions and celery over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one additional minute. Next, add the flour and cook for one more minute. Place the vegetables, broth and chicken breasts in the slow cooker and set the temperature to low. Cook for four hours, then remove the chicken and shred it with two forks. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker with the gnocchi, cream, spinach salt and pepper and cook for one more hour. Your gnocchi soup will be ready in 5 hours!
Chicken gnocchi soup on the stovetop
Gnocchi soup is very easy to make on the stove top as well. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. When the vegetables are tender, add the garlic and cook for one additional minute. Add the flour and cook for one minute. Next, add the chicken broth and chicken. Cover the pan, lower the temperature a bit and cook for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and shred it with a fork. Add the chicken back into the pan with the gnocchi, milk, spinach, salt and pepper. Simmer until the spinach is wilted then remove from heat and serve.
This soup will keep for three days if properly stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It also freezes well for up to a month. You may need to add a little extra chicken broth or cream when reheating your gnocchi soup because it does thicken as it sits.
Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb potato gnocchi
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in an instant pot on Saute setting.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for two minutes. Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Pour the chicken broth in and stir to dissolve flour mixture.
- Place the chicken breasts in the broth. Replace cover and lock lid into place, move the pressure valve to sealing position.
- Cook on manual pressure cook (high) for 15 minutes. Release pressure by moving the valve to “vent” when the timer goes off.
- Remove the chicken from the instant pot and shred with two forks. Set aside.
- Add the gnocchi to the broth and vegetables and set the pressure cooker on “Saute”. Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions, or until it starts to float.
- Place the chicken back into the instant pot and add the milk, spinach, salt and pepper.
- Turn off the instant pot and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.