This sweet and simple strawberry dump cake is BURSTING with delicious strawberry flavor!
Strawberry pie filling, vanilla cake mix, and melted butter come together to make the perfect 3-ingredient dessert that is great for family gatherings, pot-lucks, and BBQs.
Note: that links to products you find in this post are Amazon affiliate links which means I do make a small amount of money when you click and make purchases.
Craving strawberries? Then I have the perfect summer dessert for you!
This crowd-pleasing dessert is always a winner. It can be whipped up in no time, making it the perfect dessert for a last-minute gathering or weeknight treat or an easy weeknight treat.
Strawberry dump cake is one of my favorite variations of the classic dump cake recipe and I especially love it topped with a nice big dollop of whipped cream!
What is Strawberry Dump Cake?
A dump cake is a type of cake that's made by "dumping" ingredients into a baking dish and cooking in the oven until golden and bubbly.
Unlike traditional cakes, dump cakes don't require any mixing, beating, or kneading. Simply layer the ingredients and let the oven do the work. The result is a deliciously moist and crumbly cake that's full of flavor and texture.
This dump cake with strawberry is a variation of the classic dump cake recipe, made with strawberry pie filling and a few simple pantry staples.
To make this quick strawberry cobbler with cake mix recipe, you will need:
- Canned Strawberry Pie Filling: Make sure you use a brand you love. This is the base of the recipe, so you must choose a high-quality filling.
- Boxed Cake Mix: Vanilla is ideal for this dump cake recipe as it compliments the strawberry nicely.
- Butter: Use melted unsalted butter. I have tested many dump cake recipes and prefer the results of melting the butter before topping the cake mix.
- Optional Garnishes for Serving: Whipped topping is AMAZING on top of this easy strawberry dessert and ice cream is also extra tasty.
See the recipe card for quantities of each ingredient.
Substitutions and Variations
Need to switch things up a bit? The following substitutions will work:
- Strawberry Pie Filling: You could use fresh or frozen strawberries tossed in a bit of sugar but please be advised the cooking times and results may vary.
- Boxed Cake Mix: I love vanilla for this recipe, but white, yellow, or strawberry cake mix can be used as well for something a bit different.
- Melted Butter: You can use butter slices instead of melted butter if you want but I prefer melted butter as it prevents dry cake mix patches from forming.
You don't need much to make this easy strawberry pie filling cake. All you need for making it are these kitchen tools:
- Cooking Spray: To prevent the dump cake from sticking.
- 9x13 pan: This is the best size pan for this recipe.
- Liquid Measuring Cup: For melting and pouring butter
How to Make Strawberry Pie Filling Dump Cake
Now that you have all your ingredients and the equipment gathered, it's time to get started!
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F, the ideal temperature for making this strawberry cobbler with cake mix recipe. It allows everything to bake nice and slowly without over-browning the top.
- Once the oven is preheated, prepare your 9x13 baking dish with a light coating of cooking spray. You can also use a bit of butter to grease it up if preferred.
- Next, distribute the strawberry pie filling into the bottom of the pan and spread it out evenly reaching into every corner.
- Then take the cake mix and sprinkle half of it across the strawberry pie filling.
PRO TIP: At this point, I like to give the dish a little shake to help even out the cake mix topping. If you don't do this, sometimes higher mounds can form and make it hard for butter/moisture to reach while baking.
- Finally pour the butter over the cake mix. I like to use a liquid measuring cup for this step as it gives the most control over placement.
PRO TIP: Distribute the butter as even as possible but keep in mind that it will continue to spread as it bakes, so it doesn't have to be perfect!
- Place the cake into the preheated oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the pineapple juices are nice and bubbly.
PRO TIP: You will know when the lemon cream cheese dump cake is done when the top is evenly browned. At this point, the cake mix should be mostly absorbed.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to set for a few minutes. You can enjoy this easy strawberry cake mix cobbler at room temperature or cold!
How to Serve
I like to serve this strawberry pie filling with cake mix dessert with whipped cream. It is also great with ice cream, too!
I love it when it's still warm from the oven, but you can serve it at room temperature or even cold.
This strawberry cobbler dump cake recipe contains fruit, so although it can be stored at room temperature on the first day, it should be covered and stored in the fridge overnight.
When properly covered and stored, this recipe will stay fresh for up to four days.
Expert Tips and FAQS
Ready to make your own dump cake? Remember these tips:
- Spray the 9x13-inch dish before baking, paying special attention to the corners.
- Evenly distribute the strawberry pie filling across the pan.
- Shake the dish once the cake mix is added to help the excess cake mix fall into open spaces.
- Use a liquid measuring cup to evenly distribute the butter.
YES! I like to serve it warm with ice cream or whipped cream but you can make it ahead of time and store it at room temperature until ready to serve.
They call it a dump cake because the ingredients can simply be "dumped" into the baking dish before baking.
Following my tips above, your dump cake should not be powdery. The liquid from the lemon and butter should be enough to cook through the dry cake mix. If your dump cake turned out powdery, that likely means the cake mix or the butter wasn't distributed very carefully.
If you notice this is an issue while baking, you can spoon juice from the corners over the dry areas and pop it back into the oven.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card right below! You can also write a review in the comment section further down the page I always appreciate your feedback. And don’t forget to tag me @freshcoasteats in your photos on social media, I'd love to see your results!
Strawberry Dump Cake
- 2 21 ounce cans strawberry pie filling
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup butter melted
- whipped topping or ice cream optional for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9x13 pan with a light coating of cooking spray.
- Spread the strawberry pie filling evenly across the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Carefully distribute the cake mix over the strawberries in an even layer.
- Pour the melted butter over the cake mix.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.