Looking for the most delicious way cook those fresh green beans you've got in the fridge? Say hello to oven roasted green beans! This easy and healthy side dish is the perfect addition to just about any meal. All you need are four simple ingredients to make tender-crisp green beans that everyone will love.
Note: that links to products you find in this post are Amazon affiliate links which means I do make a small amount of money when you click and make purchases.
Tired cooking green beans the same way every single time? Roasting green beans in the oven is my new favorite way for preparing them for meals in my house.
This green bean dish is mostly hands-off which means while they cook I can put the finishing touches on the rest of the meal. Plus I find it's way easier to cook them to the exact tenderness my family enjoys when I prepare them in the oven.
Their simple seasoning adds the perfect amount of flavor to enhance their natural taste transforming them into a veggie even my kids will eat.
I love to serve up this simple roasted vegetable dish with these juicy, succulent slow cooker drumsticks or smoked chicken quarters. They're also perfect for holidays and make a great side for grilled whole turkey.
All you need are four simple ingredients to transform fresh green beans into everyone's favorite side dish. Here's a look at what you need to gather together.
- Green beans: Use fresh green beans for the best flavor! This recipe has been specifically created for fresh green beans so I don't recommend using frozen.
- Extra virgin olive oil: I love the fruity flavor of olive oil but you can definitely swap out other cooking oils. Just be sure to check their smoke point and make sure they work well for cooking at 425° F.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic and crush or press it for maximum flavor.
- Lemon juice: The tartness of the lemon works wonders to brighten the flavors of your green beans without making them lemony.
See the recipe card for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
Substitutions and Variations
Here are some ideas for changing up or substituting ingredients in this simple roasted green beans recipe.
- French-style green beans: You can slice or julienne fresh green beans if prefer them cut this way. Just note that since they are much thinner they will cook more quickly. Be sure to keep a close eye on them as they cook.
- Fresh garlic: Use fresh whenever possible but in a pinch you can use jarred minced garlic or about a half teaspoon of garlic powder instead.
- Leave out the lemon: It adds a nice fresh flavor but you can certainly leave it out if you prefer.
If you love green beans, try this easy green almandine recipe!
How to Make Roasted Green Beans
This dish goes together in just a few easy steps. Here's how to do it and some of my favorite tips for ensuring they come out great!
- Before getting started, preheat the oven to 425° F and line your baking tray with parchment paper. It's not 100% necessary but it makes cleanup so much easier.
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk together until well combined.
PRO TIP: Use a garlic press or crush the garlic for the best flavor. If you don't have one it's ok to simply mince the garlic up into small pieces.
- Toss your trimmed green beans in the flavored oil until they are all fully coated.
- Spread the green beans out into a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and roast them in your preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the beans are tender.
PRO TIP: It's important that the beans are spread out in a single layer. This ensures that they cook evenly and also guarantees more browned edges on your roasted green beans.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and serve your green beans immediately. Garnish with fresh lemon wedges or rounds.
Oven roasted green beans with garlic are best enjoyed freshly cooked. I find that they tend to be overly mushy when reheated.
But if you end up with leftovers go ahead and save them. They work great to chop up and throw into a salad or add to a vegetable soup.
If you prefer to reheat them and enjoy them the same way, you can reheat in the microwave or in the oven for about 5-8 minutes. Just note they will be slightly softer when reheated.
I do not recommend freezing leftover green beans roasted in the oven.
Expert Tips and FAQS
Oven roasted garlic green beans are an easy recipe to prepare but here's a reminder of some of the important tips to follow when making them so you get great results!
- Use fresh ingredients! This recipe is for FRESH green beans and using fresh lemon juice and fresh garlic will ensure the best flavor.
- Preheat the oven. These green beans cook best in a hot oven. They end up with a better color and the cooking time is more consistent.
- For easy cleanup, line your baking tray!
- Spread out the green beans in a single layer on your baking sheet for even cooking.
No, unfortunately the method and instructions in this recipe are only for using fresh green beans. While you can likely cook these other types of beans in the oven, the cooking time is likely different and the results will not be the same.
No, I find that doesn't yield the best outcome. You really want to blanch vegetables when you are planning to freeze them to use later or for adding to cold preparations. Blanching them starts the cooking process which means that they won't roast in the oven the same way.
In the oven, I find it takes about 15-20 minutes to roast green beans. However, you can cook for less time if you prefer a crunchier bean or cook longer if you prefer them softer.
More Vegetable Side Dish Recipes
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card right below! You can also write a review in the comment section further down the page I always appreciate your feedback. And don’t forget to tag me @freshcoasteats in your photos on social media, I'd love to see your results!
Oven Roasted Green Beans
- 1 lb fresh green beans washed and ends trimmed off
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Toss the prepared green beans in the flavored oil until fully coated.
- Spread the green beans onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the oven and serve.