Three Bean Salad is a classic American side dish. It's a potluck family staple where I'm from because it pairs perfectly with any meal! This salad also makes a great healthy lunch that's high in protein and fiber.
If you grew up in the Midwest like me, there's no doubt you saw Three Bean Salad at any family gathering. What makes this salad so perfect is that it's so portable! It tastes delicious chilled or at room temperature and it's a healthy side dish to any summer BBQ.
Three Bean Salad Ingredients
- Three Bean Mixture: Cannellini, kidney, and garbanzo beans make the perfect trio for this hearty side dish. The blend of textures and flavors keeps this salad interesting and tasty.
- Red Onion and Celery: These veggies add extra crunch and flavor.
- Italian Seasoning: Classic in this dish! It provides the perfect blend of spices to give this dish a Mediterranean flair.
- Parsley: My favorite fresh herb to add a bright pop of flavor and color.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing: Keeping with tradition, this sweet and sour dressing only gets better as the beans sit!
How to Make Three Bean Salad
- Rinse and drain beans and then add them to a large bowl. Chop half a cup of red onion and two celery stalks and add to the bowl with beans. Add chopping parsley and Italian seasoning and set aside.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl, mix together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Add dressing to the bean mixture and toss until thoroughly combined.
Allow bean salad to marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving for the best flavor! Serve chilled or at room temperature.
You can also try changing out the beans to other combinations if you prefer. Try mixing light and red kidney beans, green beans, black beans or even black eyed peas.
This salad can stored in an airtight container for up to one week. It is one of those salads that almost gets better as it sits and the flavors have time to REALLY soak in good.
These are some of my favorite glass storage containers for salads like these.
When I am making a big batch of this salad to last all week, I like to leave out the fresh parsley and add it fresh each time I serve it.
To keep the parsley nice and fresh, I love these herb saver pods which keep the parsley firm and crisp until you are ready to use them.
I also enjoy serving a few different side dishes together to make a complete meal. Instant Pot Artichokes or Hasselback Potatoes are hearty on their own but would feel like a full meal when paired with this nutrient dense salad.
More Side Dish Recipes
Three Bean Salad
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 celery stalked, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse and drain all three cans of beans and place them in a large bowl.
- Chop red onion, celery, and parsley and add to bowl with beans. Add Italian seasoning and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whish together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over bean mixture and toss to combine until fully incorporated.