This chick fil a avocado lime ranch dressing copycat is a delicious blend of avocado, lime, sour cream, fresh herbs and pantry staple seasonings. Its creamy consistency and flavor-packed goodness will leave you craving salads all day long.
I absolutely love a nice creamy salad dressing, but every once in a while it is nice to take a break from good old classic ranch or creamy blue cheese.
This fresh and creamy homemade ranch dressing with avocado and lime is the perfect solution when you are looking for a change but still want that thick creamy indulgence.
My favorite thing about this dressing is that it incorporates lots of fresh herbs, rounded out by simple pantry staples. To make this dressing you will need:
- Avocado: Provides a smooth and creamy base and buttery flavor.
- Sour Cream: Adds a sweet tang for a finish that won't quit.
- Mayonnaise: Gives an indulgent, thick texture and a creamy finish.
- Lime: Using both the juice and the zest adds a zip of fresh flavor.
- Fresh Dill and Chives: Using fresh herbs gives this dressing an extra layer of freshness.
- Onion Powder: Adds a little something extra in the background that really takes the dressing over the edge.
- Milk: Helps everything blend nicely for optimal flavor and texture.
See the recipe card below for the exact quantities of each ingredient.
I love this recipe as written but if you are looking for some substitutions, here are some suggestions for you.
- Sour Cream: Swap it out with plain Greek yogurt for a slightly different flavor but similar consistency..
- Mayonnaise: If you prefer not to use mayonnaise, you can use an extra half cup of sour cream or avocado.
- Fresh Herbs: You can use dried herbs in place of fresh. A good general rule is to substitute 1 teaspoon dried herbs for every 1 Tablespoon of fresh herbs.
- Onion Powder: You can omit this if you don't have it or use garlic salt, and omit the ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Milk: You can use buttermilk, milk substitute, water or oil to thin out this dressing until you are happy with the texture.
This recipe doesn't require any fancy equipment. To make this, you will need:
- Garlic Press : for crushing garlic. If you don't have one, you can finely mince instead.
- Food Processor or Blender
- Salad Dressing Container or Glass Jar
How to Make Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing
The hardest part of this recipe is simply getting everything in the food processor.
Add everything to the bowl of the food processor except for the milk.
Once you have everything together, you will want to pulse the food processor alternating between the grind and chop settings.
Continue to pulse until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Slowly add the milk one tablespoon at a time until desired texture is reached.
I personally like to add enough to where the texture is similar to a traditional ranch dressing. I like it to be thin enough to pour over my lettuce, but thick enough where it sits on top of the salad.
Choosing an Avocado
For this recipe, it is best to choose a super ripe avocado. The flavor will be richer and more buttery and the texture will be super smooth and creamy.
When selecting your avocado you will want to choose one that gives slightly when pressed.
If you can't find one that is ready at the store, don't worry. Place it in a paper bag and let it sit on the counter until you are ready to use it.
How to Serve Avocado Ranch Dressing
This homemade ranch salad dressing is so versatile! Here are my favorite ways to use it:
- Over a simple salad with some grilled salmon, shrimp or other healthy protein
- As a side for chicken wings
- As a dip for chips, vegetables or with fried pickles
- Top off your favorite grilled chicken sandwich!
When properly stored, this ranch dressing will be good in the fridge for 7 days. That is an entire week of amazing healthy salads!
Be sure to store your dressing properly. I recommend an airtight jar or glass dressing bottle.
Because this recipe contains dairy and fresh ingredients, keep it in the refrigerator!
Expert Tips and FAQS
For best flavor, use fresh herbs. While you can swap them out for dried as I mentioned earlier, they will give the dressing a different flavor.
Use a ripe avocado that's soft to the touch for an ultra-creamy consistency.
If the avocado has any dark spots, scoop or cut them out before making the dressing.
In moderation, homemade avocado ranch dressing is a much healthier choice than bottled ranch. Not only does it incorporate many fresh ingredients, but you are also avoiding extra artificial flavorings and preservatives traditional bottled dressings may have.
To make this salad dressing dairy-free, use dairy-free substitutes for the sour cream, mayonnaise and milk.
Yes! Because we are making this dressing at home, we know it is completely gluten-free! Just make sure the item you are serving it with is gluten-free as well.
It tastes very similar to ranch dressing but with an extra tang from the lime and a much creamier, thicker texture thanks to the avocado. You can use it the same way you would use ranch!
That depends on how strict you are with your Keto diet. Take a close look at the ingredients and make substitutions as needed.
Easy Fresh Salad Recipes
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card right below! You can also write a review in the comment section further down the page I always appreciate your feedback. And don’t forget to tag me @freshcoasteats in your photos on social media, I'd love to see your results!
Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing
- Garlic Press
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Lime Zest
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Combine all the ingredients except for the milk in a food processor or blender.
- Alternate between the grind and chop settings until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the two Tablespoons of milk, then adjust the consistency to your preference by adding 1 teaspoon o fmilk at a time until desired texture is reached.
- When desired thickness is reached, transfer to a dressing bottle, jar or serve over salad.
Creamy and delicious!
This looks delish! can't wait to use it on my veggie or fruit salad. Awesome thanks!:)
This dressing is even better than the Chick fil a version! My family doesn't usually like avocado but they loved this with their salad this evening and even asked for more dressing. Fantastic recipe with great flavors, a keeper!